You see them everywhere-people smiling, accomplishing great things, getting raises, reaching new goals. Are they faking it? Do they have a magic formula to life that you don’t know about? The answer is YES. Successful people are intentional in their approach to life and are more apt to follow a set of specific strategies for achieving excellence.
Throughout my career I have accomplished a great deal, made many mistakes, and learned some valuable lessons. All of my experiences-the good, the bad, and the ugly- have contributed to my current success as a Director and Executive Coach. My professional accomplishments are a result of intentional habits, strategic thinking, and a passion for excellence. I have compiled a list of habits which are unique to those individuals who have reached a high level of success. Ready? Let’s go!
1. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO SELF-REGULATE! In order to reach your professional goals you must learn the art of discipline. Successful men and women know how to set limits for themselves and behave as adults-not children. Mommy and Daddy are not going to save you or punish you when you are bad. YOU are in charge of your life now so start acting like it. Set a bedtime for yourself and stick to it, prepare for your day the night before, and do what needs to be done even if you don’t want to! Learn to tell yourself “NO.”
2. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE ORGANIZED! A disorganized life leads to a messy future. Successful professionals know the value of maintaining accurate records, following a schedule, and creating a clutter free environment. Is your desk disorganized? Does your car have garbage in the back seat? Is your home messy? If the answer is yes, you are not ready for success. Your space is a clear indication of your brand. It sends a clear message about your values and commitment to excellence. Disorganized people are more likely to lose important documents, arrive late to meetings, and embrace mediocrity. They are generally viewed as unreliable and unqualified-neither of which are conducive to a successful life.
3. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE RESILIENT! Life is full of challenges. As human beings we must endure unimaginable pains and times of crisis. Successful people are able to overcome adversity by turning these challenges into learning opportunities. They push through uncomfortable situations and don’t allow negative circumstances to define them. In order to reach your professional goals you must develop strong coping skills! Life is not easy-GET OVER IT. Get up, wipe your tears, and find a solution to your problems. You have too many resources at your disposal to allow life’s challenges to destroy your professional brand. Suck it up!
4. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE USE THEIR RESOURCES! Relationships are crucial to personal and professional success. They offer us alternate perspectives, opportunities for feedback, and support during challenging times. If you intend on reaching your full potential it’s important that you network with other professionals who will inspire you and help you along your path to excellence. Join a professional network, find a mentor, hire a Career Coach. Most importantly, keep people around you who can keep you connected and informed. Successful people are adept at building relationships and know how to draw upon these resources when needed. Get out of your bubble!
5. SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE ARE RELENTLESS! Winners know how to remain focused no matter what life throws at them. They do not allow people or situations to distract them from their goals and will stop at nothing to get what they want. You’re probably thinking, “so I need to be a jerk to be successful?!” NO-but you do need to put yourself first and give your dreams the respect they deserve. You matter! Your goals matter! Experiencing a set back? Get back up and try again. When you want something there are no excuses so save the whining for someone else who is not ready for success.
Do you have all the skills you need to be successful? It’s time to take control of your life and your business! Learn the secrets to professional excellence by investing in your future. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free coaching consultation.