In today’s business world we rely heavily on relationships. It is through our interactions with others that we build trust, share valuable information, and promote our brand. In order to maximize on these relationships, however, we must develop a strong reputation that will motivate others to invest in who we are and what we represent. Below you will find some tips on how to build that strong reputation you need to get what you want!
- DEVELOP YOUR BRAND! In order to develop an excellent reputation you must first establish your brand. You can do this by identifying 5 words that describe how you want to be perceived by others. This may include such adjectives as “professional,” “trustworthy,” or “ambitious.” Once the list is complete you must devote yourself to behaving in ways consistent with these qualifiers. You must walk, talk, and breathe in accordance to this new identity and make no apologies for it. This, ladies and gentlemen, is you BRAND! Welcome to the new you…
- BE CONSISTENT! It is not enough to develop a brand for yourself. An excellent reputation requires consistency on all levels and a commitment to your new identity day in and day out. You will find yourself distracted on some days and defeated on others but you can NEVER deviate from your plan! Excellence does not take breaks and neither should your reputation.
- KEEP YOUR PROMISES! In order to build an excellent reputation you must establish yourself as someone who is dependable and trustworthy. You do so by honoring your obligations and doing what you say you will do. Regardless of how challenging, you must devote yourself to your commitments and stay the course! Over time this level of consistency will award you with opportunities for career advancement, social networking, and personal fulfillment.
- PERFORM BEYOND EXPECTATION! There is no room for mediocrity when building an excellent reputation. In order to secure your brand you must give others more than what they ask for. Volunteer your time for an important project at work, stay late to help a colleague respond to a crisis, or offer to design a new system for quality improvement in your department. Regardless of the task, be sure to demonstrate your passion for excellence in everything you do!
- LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES! A solid reputation requires a strong sense of personal awareness. In order to develop a brand consistent with your goals you must engage in regular self analysis. This include an assessment of your strengths, weaknesses, and areas for development. Doing so will allow you to develop a plan of action for minimizing risk and avoiding future miscalculations. Remember-we cannot change the past but we are always in control of our future!
A solid reputation opens up opportunities on both a personal and professional level. Branding is critical to this process and can be used as a tool for advancement in any industry or line of business. Now is the time to build a reputation that will get you where you want to be in life! Email me for information on how coaching can help get you there faster.