There comes a moment in our lives when we realize that something has to change. Whether you are recently divorced, have just lost your job, or suffered the loss of a loved one, moments of distress can bring about feelings of hopelessness and despair. As you look around at your life you may wonder, “What’s wrong with me? Why can’t I catch a break? You will likely start to question whether your life has any real purpose or if you are destined for a life of constant struggle.
This is the exact moment when you must choose whether to give up on life or commit yourself to a new beginning. It all comes down to what you want – and most importantly, deserve from the universe. Here are some tips on how to take those first steps towards reclaiming your life.
1. STOP YOUR WHINING! In order to start your life over again you need to stop bitching and moaning. A fresh start requires a fresh attitude so take a hard look at how you talk to yourself. Do you put yourself down? Do you predict that things will go wrong at work even before you walk into the office? Do you criticize every single decision you make and talk yourself out of every good opportunity because “you will never be good at it anyway?” I need you to FORCE these intrusive thoughts out of your mind and start using more positive, respectful language. Our thoughts become our future so begin every morning with the idea that you can you have anything you want as long as you strive towards excellence in every part of your life.
2. REMOVE DEAD WEIGHT! Do you surround yourself with winners or losers? The relationships you have should motivate you to be the absolute best version of yourself every day. These people have the power to influence your thinking by how they treat you and how they treat themselves so choose carefully my friends. Don’t have anyone around to inspire you? No problem! Remember: it’s better to be alone than to be surrounded by miserable people who want YOU to be just like them. Go out and make some new connections-one at a time.
3. STOP PUTTING YOURSELF LAST! So many of us come to the rescue of every poor soul that comes our way. We put our projects to the side to help a colleague meet a deadline. We let a coworker steal our idea during a team meeting because we are too timid to take what belongs to us. We take care of other people’s children instead of going after that degree because we “feel bad for them.” What is that about??? If you want a new life you need to start acting like you matter! Put yourself first does not mean that you stop caring about other people. It means knowing that you can’t help anyone else if YOU are not okay. Sounds selfish? Fine! Your happiness is just as important as anyone else’s.
4. GET ORGANIZED! In order to start your life over again you must regain a sense of control. Most folks who have reached a dead end have a tendency to let themselves go- their physical appearance is in disarray, their home is a dirty mess, and their workspace is filled with clutter. Your new life requires a healthy, new you and a clean environment in which to do amazing things so get up and get cracking! Join a gym, start cooking nutritious meals, clean out your desk, and get yourself together. Too depressed to do these things? TOO BAD. Push yourself even if it means taking only a few steps at a time. It won’t always be easy but sleeping all day will not change your reality-only YOU can do that.
5. FIND MEANING IN SOMETHING! Your new life requires that you put your energy into something that matters to you. This could be a new career, an exciting new hobby, a volunteer experience, or a fitness goal. By focusing on something bigger than your own problems and your own “misfortunes” you will begin to find your purpose. This will inspire you to get off your butt and do whatever you have to do to get your life back. Whatever you decide to give your attention to make sure to give it all you’ve got. Devote yourself to your project or activity 100% and remain focused at all times. If you get off track or have the urge to quit just force yourself to keep on going! Practice self-discipline and never give yourself the option of failing. You deserve a happy life so go out and get it.
Starting your life over again is no easy task. It comes with many challenges and moments of uncertainty. If you find yourself struggling in this area you may benefit from having a coach to hold you accountable and help you remain focused. I am happy to help. For a free consultation email me at firstname.lastname@example.org