As a Director, I am a leader to a wonderful team of professionals. I love my work and feel privileged to be in a position where I can inspire others along their journey to success. Throughout my years as a Supervisor I have learned a great deal about what it takes to be an effective leader. Below is a summary of my findings:
1. A LEADER INSPIRES. Effective leaders know how to motivate his/her team. He/she is able to draw out each member’s strengths and help them develop as a professional. A leader is someone who a team member looks up to and respects-not only for his/her skill level but for the manner in which he/she approaches life.
2. A LEADER KEEPS HIS/HER PROMISES. A true leader always follows through! A team cannot respect a Supervisor who commits to an idea but then loses interest when confronted with a challenge. In order for a team to excel, it needs a leader who is consistent.
3. A LEADER IS PROFESSIONAL. There is no room for gossip, inappropriate language, or informal attire when in a position of leadership. A true leader know that he/she is a role model and acts as such!
4. A LEADER TREATS HIS/HER TEAM MEMBERS AS EQUALS. True Leadership requires a sense of humility. Staff tend to respect a leader who sees him/herself as a partner within the team-not a Dictator. Degrees and Licenses may look pretty on a wall but true admiration comes from treating others with respect.
5. A LEADER DEMANDS EXCELLENCE. Leadership does not equal laziness! A strong leader recognizes the value of hard work and will never accept mediocrity from the team.
6. A LEADER BUILDS TEAMS. An effective leader develops relationships with his team members. He invests time in each person’s development and takes an active interest in their lives. A Leader recognizes the danger of running an office like a factory and does whatever it takes to be a fully present, active member of the team.
Which of these qualities is the most important to you? What other qualities should we add to this list? If you are a leader in need of Executive Coaching email me now at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lets face it. Humans judge one another on physical appearance before making an assessment on personality, intellect, or values. The world of business is no different. If you want to stand out from the crowd YOU MUST PRESENT YOURSELF AS A WINNER. Remember: you are your own brand! This means that you must dress and groom yourself in a manner consistent with the position you want. Stop for a moment and examine what you are wearing at this exact second. If a stranger walked in and made an assessment of you based solely on your physical appearance how would he/she describe you?
I urge anyone who wants to excel in their current role or land their dream job to make an honest assessment of their physical appearance. Is your hair clean? Do you leave the house without ironing your clothes? Do you wear scruffy shoes to work because they are “comfortable?” Everything about you from head to toe sends a clear message about your brand. If your appearance is messy then you are sending the message that your WORK IS MESSY.
Ladies and gentlemen…PLEASE take your physical appearance as seriously as you do your goals. Before you leave to work on Monday morning look in the mirror and ask yourself, “what message am I sending to the world today?”